Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Love to Draw! Featured Sketch #2

"Hellcat and Friends" - Step by step.

As part of the 10 Character Fan Art challenge I have been doing, I had a character named Hellcat on the list. Once I realized I would be doing a catgirl from an American comic book, I thought it would be cool to do a bunch of American comic book Catgirls, but done up in the anime/manga style. After doing some research online I found my inspiration, Hogeru Baruma's "Kitty Kitty Fancia" and decided I would mimic his work in order to complete my task. I had set to work on the sketch and after several hours of research and image grafting I came up with this:

 

Since my phone takes such lousy pictures, I loaded up the image snapshot into Photoshop and applied some filters to make it easir for viewing online.


Then I began editing each character,  and inking, adding in underpainting, and cleaning up my pencil lines.


Starting with the character most in the foreground, Wildcat, from DC Comics was the first to get inked, and because she is mostly solid black there wasn't any underpainting to do, also her mask has lenses instead of cut outs, hence, no pupils...


Here, I have erased the pencil lines, which gives a much cleaner look to the image, and helps get it ready for scanning. 

Then I started on the next character...


Which happens to be Hellcat, the person whom this drawing was to be about.


Underpainting of primary costume color was done in a light application of spanish orange prismacolor marker.


And then a break was needed... as you can see by my wall, I had printed out pictures from the site where I got the ideas for my poses. There is also a print out of all the actual Comic characters in thier costumes that I wanted to replicate, so that I could get every last detail right. The tin there on the right holds the majority of my various inking pens. I predominantly use the Sakura Pigma Brush tip... but on occasion will switch to a different pen, or an actuall brush.

Next up, and probably the most well known female cat character ever... Catwoman!

 


Underpainting was done with Prismacolor lavender pencil applied very lightly.


 Still a very long way to go... 3 out of 11 characters, inked and underpainted...

On to character number 4...


The magnificent, and obscurely known, She Cat from FemForce!


Underpainting was done with a Berol V5 Red rollerball ink pen.

Next up was the beloved, Shadowcat...



I really wanted to give her kitty ears, but the only time she ever had them was in Mojo world... that and when they made the X Men manga... Her mask has a white lens that conceals her eyes, so, that is why she is pupilless.


5 out of 11, almost halfway done!


My favorite of the bunch, Black Cat! I loved this pose, and it really worked out very well for her. I think it really lent to her "I'm innocent, no, really...!" type of demeanor.


Officially over halfway done!


Tigra really came out awesome too, I think by this time, I was really getting into stride with the art style and feeling more and more comfortable with adapting it to my own.


Underpainting was done with Prismacolor marker, Summer Orange.



Getting into the home stretch, and eager to finish up...


At first, I wasn't really sure I was liking how Feral was going to turn out.


But after underpainting, I was really pleased.


A character I found in my research of Cat girls was named Bad Kitty, and I simply couldn't resist the notion of adding her to this piece.



Only 3 more to go!!!



One of Marvels many mutants, but also another obscured character, Catseye.


Her outfit really clashed with the rest of the picture, even compared to Feral's, but in the end, it came out alright.


Another vharacter from FemForce... Kitten! The pose is fitting, because it is like, YAY! I am done!


After I finished the image, I had to align it onto some larger paper, 2 sheets to be exact, so that I could start scanning, I wanted to be absolutely certain that there would be no errors, and I had to be possitive that the alignment wouldn't shift. I had to scan the image in 7 sections, My scanner bed is 9" x 12" and I was working on 18" x 24". After scanning, I had to personally, "stitch" the individual pieces togther in Paint...



Then I ported it over to photoshop to clean it up and print it out. The final result was 8 1/2" x 11" and made coloring that much easier.

After coloring, I scanned it back into Paint, because paint likes to work with my scanner, and photshop does not. 


Then I ported it back over to Photoshop, and did some final editing, and applied some filters.


The characters themselves are, from top to bottom, left to right;

Kitten from FemForce,
Catseye from Marvel's X Universe,
Bad Kitty from an Independent,
Tigra from Marvel Universe,
Feral from Marvel's X Universe,
Black Cat from Marvel's Spiderman,
Catwoman From DC's Batman,
She Cat from FemForce,
Shadowcat from Marvel's X Universe,
Hellcat from the Marvel Universe,
Wild Cat from the DC Universe.

All in all, I am very pleased with this picture. I really had a lot of fun with it. It is available for purchase, as a multitude of things on my Deviant ART page here: http://waruijanai.deviantart.com/ There are also a couple of alternate versions.

Materials:
18"x 24" drawing paper, 9H Pencil, Pen and Ink, Prismacolor Pencils, Markers, and Colorless blenders, CPU Scanner, Printing paper, Printer, MS Paint, Photshop7.

This has taken me about 6 days and about 70 hours to complete. 11 Characters, all relating to American Comic Catgirls, done in Manga style adapted from Hogeru Baruma's Kitty Kitty Fancia.

No comments:

Post a Comment